January 2011 A Note from Marcy
BOGO – Buy One, Get One at BetterBaking.com continues
Happy New Year and welcome back to the kitchen. What’s that you say? You’ve never left it and you haven’t stopped eating for two weeks? Join the club. But there is still a whole lotta of interesting baking to explore, albeit in a less frantic way – so I hope you’ll keep me company as 2011 unfolds.
BOGO at BB?
I also am pleased to extend to the ‘bogo’ (Buy One, Get One free a la PayLess Shoes) subscription. If you’re purchasing one month of BetterBaking.com (and this is particularly aimed towards newbies), you can get a free month for a friend. Just sign up and then let us know the email address of your friend and their name and we’ll do the rest.
As it is January lst, I think it’s only fair to start the New Year fresh and come clean with a confession that you might as well have guessed by now. It is really simple: I can’t keep up. What can’t I keep up with?
I can’t keep up with Twitter, Facebook, my website, my (non updated) blogs, Etsy, PW Daily and a ton of other publishing trades that tell me what boat I’ve missed. I can’t keep up with the recipes recipes I want to improve, create, or edit. I can’t seem to get the camera at the moment the ‘thing’ (whatever the thing is) comes out of the oven. Or I do but there sunlight is gone. Or the batteries are fried or there is butter on the lens. And this is only compounded with the fact that as time goes on, instead of having less interest in photography, I find I have more and want to take not only food shots but almost everything else I see.
I can’t keep up with the New York Times online or in print – nor follow the blogs from tango, to perfume, baking, books, music, and publishing. I can’t keep up to phone calls to friends or I do and they’re too tired to talk at night or trying a new sushi place or I’m at tango. I forget to journal and experience the bitter-sour burp of undigested emotions- having not had time to process them in a mindful way. Sweet butter is on sale and I miss it because I was bidding on an almost-new Ebay copy of Crouching Tiger. Speaking of which – I have movies to tell you about (Timer, Outsourced, Arranged, Love and Other Drugs, Away We Go) that I haven’t been able to review along with books I’ve read but I’ve loaned before I’ve reviewed them. Ingredients come and go in my test kitchen and I get a chance to visit them briefly (Vermont Cabot Cheese, Torino syrups, Christopher Ranch garlic) and then it’s on to the next.
Publishers tell me (and every other author) to promote, promote, promote and yes, you guessed it: I can’t keep up. There are things I should do and sometimes, even could do but the bigger, dirty secret is: I don’t want to. I don’t care to put a calorie count with my recipes, or feature them in weight and imperial as well as Metric, or link the ingredients to nutritional profiling, or make them vegan or try them with Splenda or make them gluten free. I know I should be on YouTube, and have apps for BB and overhaul the site and make it interactive with a forum and all sorts of community and Twitter a conversation the Pioneer Wife (who I greatly admire) and visit the Fancy Food Show and the Housewares Show and actually, do, (not just say I do), yoga. I think I was online too early, peaked too fast and yet here I am – somehow enduring and still enjoying. In my fashion – after a fashion which is to say – totally out of synch and unfashionable.
What I can keep up with is to sleep, eat, email, work out at the gym (I just insist I get there daily) and think. I think alot. I manage to have coffee with friends or meet them at the gym. Somehow, I manage to dance and primp and potter about with perfumes. I manage to invent weird cakes and strange cookies I just happen to think the world needs. What I manage is to remember who I love, what I like, and what dreams I just can’t let go of and I still trudge towards them. I manage to remember to be grateful. This is pretty important because frankly I’ve been through two of the most unpleasant years of my life so the gratitude thing is no small thing.
What I really mean to confess is – there are things we all should do and could do. And then there are things we love. Then there is the reality of 24 hours in one day and responsibilities that are firm task masters. Then there are things that bring joy – which until recently, in my life - was missing in action. And so – when I contemplate what I should do, could do –especially what I could and should do in regards to earning my keep, I am thinking more and more of simply doing what makes me happy. To that end, I am still presenting a cooking book proposal to my publisher and hoping because I believe in this book. And a book on scent, tango, and collected culinary essays (all the best Notes from Marcy but condensed and edited into nuggets I will force my unborn grandchildren to listen to). In service of joy, I sent off my collected poetry book to a publisher that didn’t have the heart to say no and my baseball novella to another one. I could have been researching Apps but in a pinch, I went with what felt more fun. I wrote another letter to Oprah (I’ve written a few over the years, since 1985 wherein I wrote her a list of 15 suggestions of better quality show topics to do), one to Rachel Ray (I love RR but she uses Pillsbury dough on camera – something which I cannot fathom). I bought new journals, new disposable foundation pens, and 2 more vintage slips from EBay. I bought new figure skates and am heading out to a pond to resume a figure skating career I let go of when the kids went into hockey. The pink and gray skates sit in a box in my bedroom and wink at me each morning – waiting for the perfect sunny, cold day to begin our adventure. See, I could have gone with new software for the computer but I went with the skates. I should have bought a part for my upstairs toilet (which heaves like Darth Vader all night long) but instead, bought two Persian tea glasses and a wee sack of premium Darjeeling and wild honey. I should have gone back to sleep the other night but instead, I made a stack of buttery toast (yes, my own bread), a scalding cup of wildly caffeinated coffee, and watched Something’s Gotta Give and stopped the DVD to study that amazing kitchen. I should have meditated this morning but instead, I visualized taking over the Black Swan’s dance sequences.
I know – keep up, grow up, do what you should. Instead, I have to settle (aka gracefully accept) the things I can get to, which is an odd balance of have-to and want to stuff. I am resigned too - dogged pony that I am, to get where I want to go – I have to stick to a certain trail that gets me to the range or the ranch. I am a plucky pony and so it’s hard to keep my head down and not gallop towards a more elusive horizon but that thing called focus seems to be the way to both getting at least something, however modest, completed and the way to some semblance of serenity.
When people tell me what I could do and should do – I don’t know about you but this inner frothing begins. I really don’t like that sensation. And then I catch hold of myself and remember to go towards this thing I call resonance – this inner vibration that tells me I am on the right path. For everything else that sounds right, seems true and reasonable and makes sense but makes me feel yucky I let go. Because chances are, if I feel good – I will get and do everything else I need and want to. It’s this spiritual eco-system that never fails.
So – in salute to one of my own New Year’s resolutions which is to have a simple, beautiful, calmer life – a vanilla life (for now), I am offering a recipe portrait in just that flavour – pure vanilla. It goes without saying that whatever else you might need in baking and cooking is in the Complete Recipe Archives. If you can't find it ask me. It's there or I will get around to creating it - either a fresh version of whatever it is or a definitive new take. Increasingly, you will notice I am publishing free recipes from my repertoire or otherwise inventing new stuff.
Happy New Year all, and sending warm wishes from my kitchen, and my life – to yours,
Baked Old Fashioned Rice Pudding
Free!! Make my life, and my rice pudding, pure vanilla. Pure, simple, sweet – the perfect start to a new year.
Classic Butter Vanilla Cupcakes
Free, pure and simple - and in our favorite rendition: cupcakes......
Brought to you by Levis Canada and The Lodge, two icons in clothes and in housewares that helped settle this incredible continent.
Like Oprah, I have a few things I know for sure. My list is random and only mildly wise.
Orange Olive Oil Bundt Cake
Big, gorgeous, crowd-pleasing, moist and sunny- a corn pouncake that is indescribably delicious. What better way to start the year.
Double Chocolate Fudge Cookies
Someone dared me to replicate cookies. I chose to make my own. When in doubt, reinvent don’t imitate.
Use a Lodge cast iron skillet as your panini grill and count on this huge great bread for the best sandwiches, grilled, toasted or resh
Oh my – quick and dirty- decadent and delicious. I just found a partner in crime. It starts with a cake mix but I will soon have a scratch cake recipe for this amazing treat.
Old Fashioned, Fragrant, Homey, Banana Bread
Coconut, walnuts and banana - it's almost restorative.
Homemade Buttermilk Biscuit Mix and Garlic Cheese Biscuits
Sometimes you need something easy, savory and restaurant style.
Previous Monthly Essays from A Note From Marcy:
Essays to tickle your funny bone, wake up your inner baker, twinge on your heartstrings, or make you smile and say, ‘I’ve know the feeling; I know the place”. If you missed an essay, or a season in baking or inner sensibility, we invite you to stroll through our archived Notes From Marcy.
- March 2018 A Note From Marcy - March 2018
- February 2018 A Note from Marcy - February 2018
- December 2017 A Note from Marcy - December 2017
- November 2017 A Note from Marcy - November 2017
- October 2017 A Note from Marcy - October 2017
- September 2017 A Note from Marcy - September 2017
- August 2017 A Note from Marcy - August 2017
- July 2017 A Note from Marcy - July 2017
- June 2017 A Note from Marcy - June 2017
- May 2017 A Note from Marcy - May 2017
- April 2017 A Note from Marcy - April 2017
- March 2017 A Note from Marcy - March 2017
- February A Note from Marcy - February 2017
- Betterbaking.com 2017 All Recipes Listing - January 2017
- January 2017 A Note from Marcy - January 2017
- December 2016 A Note from Marcy - December 2016
- Winter 2016 BB Best Gifts Round-Up - December 2016
- November 2016 A Note from Marcy - November 2016
- October 2016 A Note from Marcy - October 2016
- September 2016 A Note from Marcy - September 2016
- August 2016 A Note from Marcy - August 2016
- July 2016 A Note from Marcy - June 2016
- June 2016 A Note from Marcy - June 2016
- May 2016 A Note from Marcy - May 2016
- April 2016 A Note from Marcy - April 2016
- March 2016 A Note from Marcy - March 2016
- February 2016 A Note from Marcy - February 2016
- January 2016 A Note from Marcy - January 2016
- December 2015 A Note from Marcy - December 2015
- November 2015 A Note from Marcy - November 2015
- September 2015 A Note from Marcy - September 2015
- August 2015 A Note from Marcy - August 2015
- July 2015 A Note from Marcy - July 2015
- June 2015 A Note from Marcy - June 2015
- May 2015 A Note from Marcy - May 2015
- April 2015 A Note from Marcy - April 2015
- March 2015 A Note from Marcy - March 2015
- February 2015 A Note from Marcy - February 2015
- January 2015 A Note from Marcy - January 2015
- December 2014 A Note from Marcy - December 2014
- November 2014 A Note From Marcy - November 2014
- October A Note from Marcy - October 2014
- September 2014 A Note from Marcy - September 2014
- August 2014 A Note from Marcy - August 2014
- July 2014 A Note from Marcy - July 2014
- June 2014 A Note from Marcy - June 2014
- May 2014 A Note from Marcy - May 2014
- April 2014 A Note from Marcy - April 2014
- March 2014 A Note from Marcy - March 2014
- February 2014 A Note from Marcy - February 2014
- January 2014 A Note from Marcy - January 2014
- December 2013 A Note from Marcy - December 2013
- November 2013 A Note from Marcy - November 2013
- October 2013 A Note from Marcy - October 2013
- September 2013 A Note from Marcy - September 2013
- August 2013 A Note from Marcy - August 2013
- July 2013 A Note from Marcy - July 2013
- June 2013 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - June 2013
- May 2013 A Note from Marcy - May 2013
- April 2013 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - April 2013
- March 2013 A Note from Marcy - March 2013
- February 2013 A Note from Marcy - February 2013
- January 2013 A Note from Marcy - January 2013
- December 2012 A Note from Marcy - December 2012
- November 2012 A Note from Marcy - November 2012
- October 2012 A Note from Marcy - October 2012
- September 2012 A Note from Marcy - September 2012
- August 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - August 2012
- July 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - July 2012
- May 2012 A Note from Marcy - May 2012
- April 2012 Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - April 2012
- March 2012 A Note From Marcy - March 2012
- February 2012 A Note from Marcy - February 2012
- January 2012 A Note from Marcy - January 2012
- December 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - December 2011
- November 2011 Note from Marcy Bakers Stash - November 2011
- October 2011 Note From Marcy Baker's Stash - October 2011
- September 2011 A Note from Marcy - September 2011
- August 2011 (1) Note From Marcy - August 2011
- June 2011 Note from Marcy - June 2011
- May 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - May 2011
- March 2011 A Note From Marcy - March 2011
- February 2011 A Note From Marcy, Baker's Stash - February 2011
- December 2010 Baker's Stash - December 2010
- November 2010 Baker's Stash - November 2010
- October 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - October 2010
- September 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - September 2010
- August 2010 Baker's Stash - August 2010
- July 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note from Marcy - July 2010
- June 2010 Baker's Stash - June 2010
- April 2010 BAKER'S STASH - April 2010
- March 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note From Marcy - March 2010
- 2003-2007 PAST ISSUES Note from Marcy & Recipes - February 2010
- January 2010 Baker's Stash - January 2010
- December 2009 Baker's Stash - December 2009
- September 2009 Baker's Stash - September 2009
- April 2009 Bakers Stash - April 2009
- March 2009 Baker's Stash Baking With Mom, Feminist in the Kitchen and some Retro - March 2009
- February 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash - February 2009
- January 2009 Baker's Stash - January 2009
- December 2008 Baker's Stash - December 2008
- November 2008 A Note From Marcy - November 2008
- September 2008 Baker's Stash - September 2008
- A note from Marcy - December 2007
- A Note from Marcy - February 2007 - An Oreo Love Affair
- A Note from Marcy - January 2007 - When Bakers Cook, Recipes deChef
- A Note from Marcy - December 2006 - Shortbread and Other Favorite Things
- A Note from Marcy - November 2006 - Thank Goodness for Pie
- A Note from Marcy - October 2006 - A Salute to Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A Note from Marcy - September 2006 - The Back to School Carrot Cake Issue
- A Note From Marcy - August 2006 - The Sourdough Magic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - July 2006 - The Annual BB Picnic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - June 2006 - The Bountiful Berry Issue
- A Note from Marcy - May 2006 - Pride and Pastry or Tea With Jane
- A Note from Marcy - April 2006 - The Breakfast Baking Issue and Fresh Starts
- A Note from Marcy March 2006 Passion - Gettin' Some - March 2006 - Havana A Heat Wave, Baking with A Latin Beat and The Passion Play
- A Note from Marcy - February 2006 - Memoirs of A Geisha Baking, Valentineâ€™s Sweets
- A Note from Marcy - January 2006 - The You're Toast, A Salute To Slicing Loaves and More
- A Note from Marcy - December 2005 - Bake It Forward, Gift Baking Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2005 - Open Hearth Hosting or Guess Who's Coming For Dinner
- A Note from Marcy - October 2005 - It All Happens for a Reason or Sometimes Bread Just Doesn't Rise.....
- A Note from Marcy - September 2005 - Baking By the Code
- A Note from Marcy - August 2005 - The Tao of Pie
- A Note from Marcy - July 2005 - The Journey of the Journal plus Twix Bars!
- A Note from Marcy - June 2005 - A Pastry Chefs Trial by Cheesecakes
- A Note from Marcy - May 2005 - The Frontier Baking Issue/Living Big in a Small Venue
- A Note from Marcy - April 2005 - When Harry Met Salad
- A Note from Marcy - March 2005 - Baking with an Irish Broque; A Romance in the Dairy Queen One Fine March
- A Note from Marcy - February 2005 - She Just Doesnâ€™t Get Him, Valentineâ€™s Day Rebuttal and Cupcakes Galore
- A Note from Marcy - January 2005 - The Art of Changing and Making Space in a New Year
- A Note from Marcy - December 2004 - The Shall We Dance or Shall We Bake, Holiday Baking Issue and an Ode to Dance
- A Note from Marcy - November 2004 - The Bread and Soup Issue and How A Canadian Became Americanized (sort of)
- A Note from Marcy - October 2004 - The Field of Dreams Issue, Baseball and the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - September 2004 - The Catcher of the Rye Issue, What Falls Away, the Sweet Taste of Forgiveness and Letting Go
- A Note from Marcy - August 2004 - Itâ€™s All Greek To Me Issue and The Evils of Multi-Tasking
- A Note from Marcy - July 2004 - The Gone Fishinâ€™ Issue/Summer in the River City, A Bakerâ€™s Musical
- A Note from Marcy - June 2004 - The All That Jazz Issue, How To Scat and Improvise in Wheat
- A Note from Marcy - May 2004 - The Bread and Roses Issue, Goddess, Feminist or Feminineâ€¦and Fudge
- A Note from Marcy - April 2004 - Waiting for Happy, or If I Won the Lotto
- A Note from Marcy - March 2004 - Meet You in the Bookstore, My Love Affair with Books
- A Note from Marcy - February 2004 - Sweets for the Sweet, a Valentine From the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - January 2004 - How To Eat Right or Resolution 2004 â€“ How Not To Diet
- A Note From Marcy - December 2003 - The Sugar and Spice Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2003 - How To Weather the Weather, or Keeping Cozy in Late Fall
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 2) - They Laughed When I Got Up To Bake, Hotel School Trials
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 1) - How I Got Into Baking, A Bakerâ€™s Beginnings Part 1
- A Note from Marcy - September 2003 - Welcome To Wheatland, a bakerâ€™s fantasy or Camelot in Flour
- A Note from Marcy - August 2003 - Notes on Homemade Krispie Kreme Doughnuts
- A Note From Marcy - July 2003 - Memories of Summer Music Camp or Baking to Birdland
- A Note From Marcy - June 2003 - How to Play Hooky in Summer, An Urban Adventure
- 2003-2009 Note from Marcy Archives
- October 2008 Baker's Stash
- May 2010 Baker's Stash
- May 2017 Big Product Review Feature
- February 2009 Issue Baking by Heart Copy
- March 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash
- Karine Joncas Cosmetics
- April 2009 Baker's Stash
- April 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash
- Archived A Note from Marcy 2003 - 2017
- February 2009 Baker's Stash
- Archived Newsletters, A Note from Marcy 2004 - 2017