January 2018 A Note From Marcy
Beautiful, Free Blueberry Mall Muffins to start off the year. Plus hot bread such as Commercial Style Challah and Free My Best French Country Bread, Raspberry Scuffins, Crumble Bars and more! It's all in the January 2018 issue of Betterbaking.com
Happy New Year Fellow Bakers and Friends,
The weather outside is frightful! With temperatures (at least in Montreal and on Mars), hovering at -20 Celsius (that minus five on a Fahrenheit thermometer), Betterbaking.com is the place to be. Hot biscuits, warm bread, simmering soup, chewy, oven-fresh cookies and flaky pies or whatever else you want to bake and enjoy are all here. Pick a recipe from this month’s collection or the Recipe Archives, fire up the range, scoff at the ice and frost outdoors and just do your thing. Winter is officially here and we bakers have our work cut out for us.
I’ve given this newsletter a lot of thought but fortunately for you, I’ve pared it down because 2017 was/is the lesson of the less-is-more-year. I’ve tried to trim the fat on all things including food (and/or bad recipes), trivial errands, unpleasant folks, silly (or unsolvable) worries, and the sheer stuff of home, i.e. the minutia, both the physical and inner sort. I’m not one for clutter but nonetheless I do seem to magnetize far too much kitchen equipment, cowboy boots, tango shoes and writing journals. So I am carrying the less-is-more into 2018. Plus I am still grappling with the new website at www.MarcyGoldman.com which will soon me the permanent home of Betterbaking.com. But no worries, until the transition is complete and all is smooth at the Ponderosa, I will maintain two websites. It’s exactly how I planned to spend my mid-life time: figuring out technical things that aren’t my strong suit when all I want to do is bake and write. But I am convinced the new site will be great fun and easier for all of us and a far prettier place to browse recipes as each new recipe I upload will have a photo. (The new newsletter format that was tested out last week will also resume very soon). If you are a paid subscriber and want to browse the new site, email me and I’ll get you set up on the new site. This month’s recipes are all on the new site (as well as the complete recipe archives).
I don’t know what your goals are for the New Year but I set themes or intentions. I’ve decided that 2018 will be my year of hard work (I am committed to publishing more books), magic and a belief in unlimited wonderful things. I’ve also intended my 2018 theme to be about grace. Grace in my case means to say and engage far less which should conserve much needed energy and keep my creative and emotional air space sacred. So I hope to tread a bit softer, be a bit quieter and hopefully leave a spray of light wherever I walk.
A whole new year to bake and bread bread....................
I’ve also realized that since I began self-publishing in 2014 with my first indie book, When Bakers Cook, the whole publishing world pretty well went the same way. Moreover cookbooks might not be the way of younger foodies who dominate Snapchat, Instagram, and YouTube. Food as a performance or entertainment art might be the new cookbook. In fact, it’s possible that cookbooks will disappear one day or you’ll end up (if the guys at Moderniste Cuisine have their way) reading books of that having formulae (versus a recipe) that result in French Onion Soup, i.e. just a listing of chemical compounds instead of ingredients. That said, I am as much writer-author as I am a baker. So I very much hope to bring you one or not two big new cookbooks this year. When it comes to publishing, it would be an understatement to say: I'm all in.
As for the year that was in food, 2017 was : the last gasps of avocado toast, and poached eggs over everything, chatchuka, brunch, spiralled everything, Portuguese Chicken (the recipe is in my cookbook When Bakers Cook), Bánh Mì or Vietnamese sandwiches, all things vegan and vegetarian, Poke Bowls, Paleo, Pickles and other ferments, sumac and smoky stuff, tacos, both fish and otherwise.
I forecast 2018 will be still about fermented foods, delivered, prepared meals (Blue Apron, Fresh et al), Hawaiian flavors, Latin accents especially Peruvian, veggie burgers, exotic ice-cream presentations and flavors, exotic filled doughnuts and croissants, ancient grains, artisanal cheeses, organic everything, and a return to old-fashioned baking. I think we will see a lot of vintage baking (Bundts and pound cakes), heritage flavors and family heirloom style cooking as millennials come of age (we thought it would never happen) and might be seeking the same home comforts we all are. Appliance-wise, you can count on: outdoor pizza ovens, juicers, Instapot (I gave mine away), pressure cookers, crock pots, Le Creuset, Asian (vs. European) knives and I am calling a come back on the garlic crusher. I am also hoping 2018 sees a return (at least in Canada) of romaine lettuce.
So on this first day of January in the debut of 2018, I wish you what you wish for yourself: health, happiness, love and the beauty of baking and sharing.
Warm wishes and happy baking,
Author, Master Baker
Blueberry Mall Muffins Free!!!
What is more classic and reassuring in these hectic, changing times than a blueberry muffin.
Free!! My Best French Country Bread Over 68,200 downloads
Is this a good bread? No, it’s absolutely great. I made it myself the other day and was blown away by the sheer magic of this French bread for dummies recipes.
Love cinnamon buns and fondant? This recipe will have you hooked. Slice, toast and enjoy!
Raspberry Crumble Bars
Nothing beats a bar and a oat and shortbread base, along with a mix of tangy berries is a perfect match up.
Sweet Potato, Kale and Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
We have to start off with something healthy!
This recipe has everything nutritionally great going on for it, including the natural goodness of plant-based fiber, replete with the perfect balance of herbs and seasonings. It makes a perfect meat-less burger that is still protein-rich and uniquely satisfying.
Commercial Style Challah
This was a favor for someone who loves bakery-bread (bought bread!). Still, it came out amazingly wonderful.
Free!! My Best Butternut Squash Soup Free !!
Gotta keep warm! If, as Dan Buettner, author of the famed Blue Zone way of life claims that "Food is the entrance ramp for better living’ then homemade soup has to be the door handle. Nothing nurtures, nourishes or fortifies like soup and this Butternut Squash has it all.
Chocolate Streak Scones Chocolate Streak Scones
One of my favorite and most decadent scones.
When summer is far away, let fruity baking bring the sun to you. Just bake up some sunny magic.
Marcy Goldman Cookbooks
I also take this time to remind you that my books are all for sale in print (except Holiday Cookies) and ebooks at Amazon, Chapters Indigo and orderable from your favorite independent bookstore. Remember you get 4 months free of BB with any book you purchase (just send me the electronic receipt). In the new year, any new cookbooks of mine will only come with ONE- one-month free of BB Recipe Archive access so if you want to get the 4-month deal, now is a good time to purchase any of these books. All my books are available in print or e-book except for Best Holiday Cookies which is an e-book only.
My cookbooks are available at Amazon, Kindle, Indigo, Barnes and Noble or via your favorite, local, independent bookstore (all they have to do is order it for you). The baking style in each book is quite different and each is jammed packed of baking advice I can't possibly share on the website so if you are considering a holiday gift, any of these books would be a treasure to give or receive.
Seven Great Cookbooks to Choose!
Previous Monthly Essays from A Note From Marcy:
Essays to tickle your funny bone, wake up your inner baker, twinge on your heartstrings, or make you smile and say, ‘I’ve know the feeling; I know the place”. If you missed an essay, or a season in baking or inner sensibility, we invite you to stroll through our archived Notes From Marcy.
- February 2018 A Note from Marcy - December 2018
- December 2017 A Note from Marcy - December 2017
- November 2017 A Note from Marcy - November 2017
- October 2017 A Note from Marcy - October 2017
- September 2017 A Note from Marcy - September 2017
- August 2017 A Note from Marcy - August 2017
- July 2017 A Note from Marcy - July 2017
- June 2017 A Note from Marcy - June 2017
- May 2017 A Note from Marcy - May 2017
- April 2017 A Note from Marcy - April 2017
- March 2017 A Note from Marcy - March 2017
- February A Note from Marcy - February 2017
- Betterbaking.com 2017 All Recipes Listing - January 2017
- January 2017 A Note from Marcy - January 2017
- December 2016 A Note from Marcy - December 2016
- Winter 2016 BB Best Gifts Round-Up - December 2016
- November 2016 A Note from Marcy - November 2016
- October 2016 A Note from Marcy - October 2016
- September 2016 A Note from Marcy - September 2016
- August 2016 A Note from Marcy - August 2016
- July 2016 A Note from Marcy - June 2016
- June 2016 A Note from Marcy - June 2016
- May 2016 A Note from Marcy - May 2016
- April 2016 A Note from Marcy - April 2016
- March 2016 A Note from Marcy - March 2016
- February 2016 A Note from Marcy - February 2016
- January 2016 A Note from Marcy - January 2016
- December 2015 A Note from Marcy - December 2015
- November 2015 A Note from Marcy - November 2015
- September 2015 A Note from Marcy - September 2015
- August 2015 A Note from Marcy - August 2015
- July 2015 A Note from Marcy - July 2015
- June 2015 A Note from Marcy - June 2015
- May 2015 A Note from Marcy - May 2015
- April 2015 A Note from Marcy - April 2015
- March 2015 A Note from Marcy - March 2015
- February 2015 A Note from Marcy - February 2015
- January 2015 A Note from Marcy - January 2015
- December 2014 A Note from Marcy - December 2014
- November 2014 A Note From Marcy - November 2014
- October A Note from Marcy - October 2014
- September 2014 A Note from Marcy - September 2014
- August 2014 A Note from Marcy - August 2014
- July 2014 A Note from Marcy - July 2014
- June 2014 A Note from Marcy - June 2014
- May 2014 A Note from Marcy - May 2014
- April 2014 A Note from Marcy - April 2014
- March 2014 A Note from Marcy - March 2014
- February 2014 A Note from Marcy - February 2014
- January 2014 A Note from Marcy - January 2014
- December 2013 A Note from Marcy - December 2013
- November 2013 A Note from Marcy - November 2013
- October 2013 A Note from Marcy - October 2013
- September 2013 A Note from Marcy - September 2013
- August 2013 A Note from Marcy - August 2013
- July 2013 A Note from Marcy - July 2013
- June 2013 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - June 2013
- May 2013 A Note from Marcy - May 2013
- April 2013 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - April 2013
- March 2013 A Note from Marcy - March 2013
- February 2013 A Note from Marcy - February 2013
- January 2013 A Note from Marcy - January 2013
- December 2012 A Note from Marcy - December 2012
- November 2012 A Note from Marcy - November 2012
- October 2012 A Note from Marcy - October 2012
- September 2012 A Note from Marcy - September 2012
- August 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - August 2012
- July 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - July 2012
- May 2012 A Note from Marcy - May 2012
- April 2012 Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - April 2012
- March 2012 A Note From Marcy - March 2012
- February 2012 A Note from Marcy - February 2012
- January 2012 A Note from Marcy - January 2012
- December 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - December 2011
- November 2011 Note from Marcy Bakers Stash - November 2011
- October 2011 Note From Marcy Baker's Stash - October 2011
- September 2011 A Note from Marcy - September 2011
- August 2011 (1) Note From Marcy - August 2011
- June 2011 Note from Marcy - June 2011
- May 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - May 2011
- March 2011 A Note From Marcy - March 2011
- February 2011 A Note From Marcy, Baker's Stash - February 2011
- January 2011 A Note from Marcy - January 2011
- December 2010 Baker's Stash - December 2010
- November 2010 Baker's Stash - November 2010
- October 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - October 2010
- September 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - September 2010
- August 2010 Baker's Stash - August 2010
- July 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note from Marcy - July 2010
- June 2010 Baker's Stash - June 2010
- April 2010 BAKER'S STASH - April 2010
- March 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note From Marcy - March 2010
- 2003-2007 PAST ISSUES Note from Marcy & Recipes - February 2010
- January 2010 Baker's Stash - January 2010
- December 2009 Baker's Stash - December 2009
- September 2009 Baker's Stash - September 2009
- April 2009 Bakers Stash - April 2009
- March 2009 Baker's Stash Baking With Mom, Feminist in the Kitchen and some Retro - March 2009
- February 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash - February 2009
- January 2009 Baker's Stash - January 2009
- December 2008 Baker's Stash - December 2008
- November 2008 A Note From Marcy - November 2008
- September 2008 Baker's Stash - September 2008
- A note from Marcy - December 2007
- A Note from Marcy - February 2007 - An Oreo Love Affair
- A Note from Marcy - January 2007 - When Bakers Cook, Recipes deChef
- A Note from Marcy - December 2006 - Shortbread and Other Favorite Things
- A Note from Marcy - November 2006 - Thank Goodness for Pie
- A Note from Marcy - October 2006 - A Salute to Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A Note from Marcy - September 2006 - The Back to School Carrot Cake Issue
- A Note From Marcy - August 2006 - The Sourdough Magic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - July 2006 - The Annual BB Picnic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - June 2006 - The Bountiful Berry Issue
- A Note from Marcy - May 2006 - Pride and Pastry or Tea With Jane
- A Note from Marcy - April 2006 - The Breakfast Baking Issue and Fresh Starts
- A Note from Marcy March 2006 Passion - Gettin' Some - March 2006 - Havana A Heat Wave, Baking with A Latin Beat and The Passion Play
- A Note from Marcy - February 2006 - Memoirs of A Geisha Baking, Valentineâ€™s Sweets
- A Note from Marcy - January 2006 - The You're Toast, A Salute To Slicing Loaves and More
- A Note from Marcy - December 2005 - Bake It Forward, Gift Baking Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2005 - Open Hearth Hosting or Guess Who's Coming For Dinner
- A Note from Marcy - October 2005 - It All Happens for a Reason or Sometimes Bread Just Doesn't Rise.....
- A Note from Marcy - September 2005 - Baking By the Code
- A Note from Marcy - August 2005 - The Tao of Pie
- A Note from Marcy - July 2005 - The Journey of the Journal plus Twix Bars!
- A Note from Marcy - June 2005 - A Pastry Chefs Trial by Cheesecakes
- A Note from Marcy - May 2005 - The Frontier Baking Issue/Living Big in a Small Venue
- A Note from Marcy - April 2005 - When Harry Met Salad
- A Note from Marcy - March 2005 - Baking with an Irish Broque; A Romance in the Dairy Queen One Fine March
- A Note from Marcy - February 2005 - She Just Doesnâ€™t Get Him, Valentineâ€™s Day Rebuttal and Cupcakes Galore
- A Note from Marcy - January 2005 - The Art of Changing and Making Space in a New Year
- A Note from Marcy - December 2004 - The Shall We Dance or Shall We Bake, Holiday Baking Issue and an Ode to Dance
- A Note from Marcy - November 2004 - The Bread and Soup Issue and How A Canadian Became Americanized (sort of)
- A Note from Marcy - October 2004 - The Field of Dreams Issue, Baseball and the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - September 2004 - The Catcher of the Rye Issue, What Falls Away, the Sweet Taste of Forgiveness and Letting Go
- A Note from Marcy - August 2004 - Itâ€™s All Greek To Me Issue and The Evils of Multi-Tasking
- A Note from Marcy - July 2004 - The Gone Fishinâ€™ Issue/Summer in the River City, A Bakerâ€™s Musical
- A Note from Marcy - June 2004 - The All That Jazz Issue, How To Scat and Improvise in Wheat
- A Note from Marcy - May 2004 - The Bread and Roses Issue, Goddess, Feminist or Feminineâ€¦and Fudge
- A Note from Marcy - April 2004 - Waiting for Happy, or If I Won the Lotto
- A Note from Marcy - March 2004 - Meet You in the Bookstore, My Love Affair with Books
- A Note from Marcy - February 2004 - Sweets for the Sweet, a Valentine From the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - January 2004 - How To Eat Right or Resolution 2004 â€“ How Not To Diet
- A Note From Marcy - December 2003 - The Sugar and Spice Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2003 - How To Weather the Weather, or Keeping Cozy in Late Fall
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 2) - They Laughed When I Got Up To Bake, Hotel School Trials
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 1) - How I Got Into Baking, A Bakerâ€™s Beginnings Part 1
- A Note from Marcy - September 2003 - Welcome To Wheatland, a bakerâ€™s fantasy or Camelot in Flour
- A Note from Marcy - August 2003 - Notes on Homemade Krispie Kreme Doughnuts
- A Note From Marcy - July 2003 - Memories of Summer Music Camp or Baking to Birdland
- A Note From Marcy - June 2003 - How to Play Hooky in Summer, An Urban Adventure
- 2003-2009 Note from Marcy Archives
- May 2017 Big Product Review Feature
- February 2009 Baker's Stash
- Karine Joncas Cosmetics
- April 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash
- October 2008 Baker's Stash
- May 2010 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Issue Baking by Heart Copy
- March 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash
- April 2009 Baker's Stash
- PREVIOUS NOTES FROM MARCY 2004 - 2017